The 15th anniversary of Air Guitar World Championships was celebrated on 25-28 August 2010 in Oulu, Finland.
The Grand Final witnessed snapping strings and fainting groupies as the contestants, one fierier than the other, fought for the ultimate command of the air.The World Champion 2009 Sylvain “Gunther Love” Quimene (FR) gave once again a stunning performance and took the highest crown back to France. His fellow countrywoman Soraya “Eva Gina Runner” Garlenq scored second with her sparkling and tight one-minute show. The third place was taken over by retiring Canadian champion Cole “Johnny Utah” Manson.
On the stage the four Dark Horses to clear the Thursday's Qualifying Round challenged the Air Guitar Champions from Japan, Malaysia, Great Britain, Canada, United States, Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Russia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, France, Ukraine, Switzerland, Mexico, Denmark, Brazil and Finland. On the first round the contestants played a self chosen song and the ten to score highest were admitted to the second, Compulsory Round, where everyone rocked to the legendary Foxy Lady by Jimi Hendrix.
Air Guitar World Championship Final 2010 results, all the participants!
|1. Sylvain “Günther Love” Quimene (FR) 33,9
2. Soraya “Eva Gina Runner” Garlenq (FR) 33,4
3. Cole “Johnny Utah” Manson (CA) 33,1
4. Corentin “AirGus” Fermont (BE) 32,6
5. Chuah “L-Bird” Eng Beng (MY) 32,5
6. Aapo “Little Angus” Rautio (FI) 32,4
6. Kevin “Narvalwaker” Leloux (BE) 32,4
8. Cameron “Tommy Thundah” Bunney (AU) 32,3
9. Toshihiko “SUNANEY” Sunabe (JP) 32,1
10. Peter “Pete Peacemaker” Kuriscák (SK) 31,4
11. Matt "Romeo DanceCheetah" Cornelison (US) 16,0
12. Christian ”Heart Buckboard” Sweep (DE) 15,8
13. Kirill “Your Daddy” Blumenkrantz (RU) 15,7
13. Karla "Gotika" Mendoza (MX) 15,7
15. Thom "W!ld Th!ng 37" Wilding (UK) 15,5
16. Bedrich"Mr Babinoska" Levi (CZ) 15,4
17. Dirk "Swiss Dirty Airy" Lüdi (CH) 15,2
17. Eero "Oulun oma poika" Ojala (FI) 15,2
19. Rezo "Baron horse-stealer" Gamrekelidze (UA) 15,1
20. Soren "Big G" Stenbjerg Gregersen (DK) 15,0
21. Deku "Deku Chan" Chan (IE) 14,9
22. Alan "Xirtam" Foster (BR) 14,8
23. Alexander "Devilseducer" Gott (RU) 14,6
Juha Torvinen, the godfather of Air Guitar chaired a prestigious and
sharp-eyed Jury who analyzed the contestants as the Finals evening
turned into night. Torvinen was supported by the Swedish guitar-wizard
José Gonzalez, Spin Magazine reporter Andy Beta from the U.S. and two
national championships organizers from the AGWC Network, Zac Monro from
United Kingdom and Raphaël Monnanteuil from Belgium. As the Air Guitar
tradition has it, after the winner was chosen, all the contestants took
the stage once more and encouraged the whole world to play Air Guitar to
Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" while the fireworks lighted
the sky to celebrate the 15th anniversary. The objective of the Air
Guitar Championships in to promote world peace – according to Air Guitar
ideology, wars will end, climate change stops and all bad things
disappear if all the people in the world play the Air Guitar.
The night also included performances by rap artist Paleface and the master-lyricist Samuli Putro with his band. The audience was also treated with surprise programme as male choir Pohjan Laulu and Swedish Junip, that this time performed as an air band for their music video, took the stage. The night's host, Air Guitar Guru Dan ”Björn Türoque” enchanted the Oulu Marketplace with his charisma and tuned the festival audience into an airy frequency. The chilly Final night gathered a massive audience of approximately 7000-8000 people.