Air Guitar World Championships were held for the 12th time in Oulu. The
blinging final took place at Club Teatria, where Japan showed its guitarring
skills yet again. The Land of the Rising Sun took home the world champion title
for the second time in a row, and Ochi "Dainoji" Yosuke will again
spread around the world peace ideology. The familiar tiger shirt and stylish,
laid back air guitarring guaranteed Dainoji's victory. Competition was hard,
and the runners up came from France and Austria: 2nd place went to
Guillaume "Moche Pitt" de Tonquédec and 3rd place to Max
"Herr Jaquelin" Heller.
The skilled air guitar performances were evaluated by the guitar legend Juha Torvinen, who has been the head of the honorable jury since 1994. He was accompanied by researcher and teacher of music science Juha T. Torvinen. Other, non-Torvinen jury members included Ville Paakkari, the youngest air guitar world champion ever. He was crowned victorious in 1997, at the tender age of ten. Also the awarded filmmaker Carsten Fiebeler from Germany and the organiser of the Italian national championships, Rainer Toniatti, were selected to attend jury duty.
Four victorious black horses from Thursday's Qualifying Round faced the 15 national champions and the ruling world champion Ochi "Dainoji" Yosuke at the Final. The Final included participants from the United States, Canada, Mexico, Norway, Great Britain, Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, France, Austria, Italy, Greece, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Finland and Spain.
Having played their air guitars to their self-chosen songs, the ten best moved on to the compulsory round to play the heavy rumble chosen by the organisers: "I Don't Wanna Stop" by Ozzy Osbourne. In addition to fame and glory, Yosuke received a hand-made Flying Finn -guitar and Nokia 5700 XpressMusic mobile phone. Also de Tonquédec and Heller received mobile phones, and for winning the public vote Heller was also rewarded with a signed Baby Brian May guitar.
1. Ochi "Dainoji" Yosuke (JPN)
2. Guillaume "Moche Pitt" de Tonquédec (FRA)
3. Max "Herr Jaquelin" Heller, Itävalta (AUT)
4. Christian "Heart Buckboard" Sweep (GER)
5. Alessandro "Mystic Barrito" Veletta (CH)
5. Tatsuya " Ichikawa the Rock" Ichikawa (JPN)
7. Ramon "The Shaking Devil" Compagnoni (IT)
8. David "Moreno del Metal" Moreno (ES)
8. Hassan "Mr. Hassan" Cordero Terriguez (MX)
10. John "Rootin Tootin Redneck Johno" Gerrand (NZ)
11. Stefan "Bugi" Meier (CH)
11. Andrew "William Ocean" Litz (US)
13. Tom "The T" Vorstius Kruijff (NL)
13. Renè Schmidt (GER)
15. Kristian "Living Jukebox" Klevberg (NO)
16. Wes "Tommy Air Manuel" Roe (AU)
16. Gabi "The Hoxton Creeper" Matzeu (GB)
18. Tim "Glen Airy Glen Rocks" Evans(CA)
18. Hilkka "Gore Kitty" Suvanto (FIN)
20. Petros "Muruth the Barberian" Stathatos (GR)