Air Guitar World Championships took place in Club Teatria, Oulu, for the 11th time. Japan's strong presence produced a world champion and Ochi "Dainoji" Yosuke got a chance to spread the gospel of air guitar. Yosuke outplayed the other skillful contestants with his simplistic yet extremely classy air guitaring.
The five finalists who had made their way from the Qualifying Round on Thursday were challenged with Michael "The Destroyer" Heffels, the reigning champion, and the winners from national championships. National champions included masters from Australia, Austria, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Norway, the United States, Germany, France, Japan, Italy, and the Great Britain. After a round of optional songs, the ten best players performed a song chosen by the organisers, "Who's Your Daddy", the latest single release by Lordi, the winner of this year's Eurovision Song Contest.
In addition to fame and prestige, Yosuke received a custom made Finnish guitar called Flying Finn and a special donation from the Queen guitarist Brian May, a VOX BM Special amplifier, designed by the man himself.
1. Ochi "Dainoji" Yosuke (JPN)
2. Clay "Bangers" Connolly (AUS)
3. Christian "Heart Buckboard" Sweep (GER)
4. Gabriele "The Hoxton Creeper" Matzeu (UK)
5. Takeshi "Takeshi the SAMURAI Kongochi" Kongochi (JPN)
6. Craig "Hot Lixx Hulahan" Billmeier (USA)
6. Rainer "Le Freak" Fussgänger (AUT)
8. Romain "Sideburn" Lesaffre (FRA)
9. Christian "Der Prettauer" Steinhauer (ITL)
10. Benjamin "Helmutt" Greaney (NZ)
11. Karita "Rässi Rinsessa" Kivioja (FIN)
11. Michael "The Destroyer" Heffels (NED)
11. Igmar "Iggy Stardust" De Haan (NED)
11. Eero "Oulun oma poika" Ojala (FIN)
15. Max "Max" Heller (AUT)
16. Kanagawa "Super IQ" IQ (JPN)
17. Terje "Doc" Stephansen (NOR)