Air Guitar World Championships started the competition rounds on Thursday 22 August with the knowingly steamy Qualifying Round, which turned out to be a high-level air guitar rival of altogether sixteen Dark Horses. The cramped up rock bar 45 Special was taken over by Eric “Mean Melin” Melin of the United States with his purely rocking performance. The other four air guitarists advancing to the World Final were Christian “Heart Buckboard” Sweep (DE), Doug “The Thunder” Stroock (US), Kereel “Your Daddy” Blumenkrants (RU) and Corentin “AirGus” Fermont (BE).
This year the Qualifying Round jury was given the right to judge the final count of the winning performances, and the 5th final spot turned out to be a tie battle of AirGus and Mathias “Eric “Nu” Matic” Mertens of Germany. After a re-run, the gigantic German had to fall under the AirGus’s fierce performance.
The honorary jury included the Head of Music Tomi Saarinen (radio station YleX), Festival Coordinator Katri Dahlström (Oulu August Festival), Artistic Director Satu Tuomisto (JoJo – Oulu Dance Centre) and two national air guitar organizers, Ivalyo Botushanov of Bulgaria and Anna Elkina of Russia.
The Results of the Air Guitar Qualifying Round for Dark Horses
1. Eric "Mean Melin" Melin (US) 17,9
2. Christian “Heart Buckboard” Sweep (DE) 17,4
3. Doug "The Thunder" Stroock (US), 17,2
4. Kereel "Your Daddy" Blumenkrants (RU) 17,0
5. Corentin "AirGus" Fermont (BE) 16,9 (17,1)
6. Mathias "Eric 'Nu' Matic” Mertens (DE) 16,9 (16,2)
7. Aline "The Devil's Niece" Westphal (DE) 16,7
7. Bianca "President Baberham Lincoln" Cevoli (US) 16,7
9. Amberley "Amberella" Lobo (AU) 16,4
10. Amos "The Gullitine" Gill (AU) 16,0
10. Tom "Sgt. Wrecker" Hill (AU) 16,0
12. Tianji "Pegasus" Li (CH) 15,8
13. Makoto "Makoto Sato" (JP) 15,5
13. Chelsie "Cannonballmavin" Jangord (US) 15,5
15. Paul "Pulsating Plectrum" Schofield 14,7
16. Cecilia "Sweet Sisu" Knodt (DE) 14,5
For press photos, please see the media gallery.
Please tune in for the Air Guitar World Final on Friday 23 August 2013 at Rotuaari Square (Oulu, Finland). The show shall start at 7 p.m. (EET, UTC +3), the official webstream via newspaper Kaleva, live.kaleva.fi at 8 p.m. (EE, UTC +3).
For more information contact:
Tel. +358 44 970 1517
Fri 23 Aug 2013
Write a comment
- Required fields are marked with *.
The purpose of the Air Guitar World Championships is to promote world peace. According to the ideology of the Air Guitar, wars would end, climate change stop and all bad things disappear, if all the people in the world played the Air Guitar. This is why the whole universe is invited to play the Air Guitar for the world peace at the end of the competition.
For Peace, From Oulu.